Updates to the City’s Master Land Use Plan are fairly regular, but the last major rewrite of the Plan occurred in 1997. With an effort beginning in 2019, the City of Muskegon Planning Department has been working on a comprehensive rewrite of the Master Plan, and has hosted a series of public workshops that focus on key sections of the plan:
- Neighborhood Association Workshops (February-May 2019)
- Neighborhood Plan Workshops (November 16-18, 2021)
- Economic Development and Business Corridors Workshop (June 2-3, 2022)
We invite all members of the community to join us at the upcoming events to give feedback on the master plan goals. At each meeting you can expect to get a review of the goals that have been drafted based on previous engagement and give feedback for continued adjustment. In preparation for or in replacement of a meeting, please take advantage of watching the individual videos reviewing neighborhood specific and broad master plan goals below. Use the “playlist” function in the upper righthand corner of the video to navigate to all 21 videos.
Broad Topic Master Plan Review Day | Wednesday, March 15th at Central Fire Station. You can join us for all four meetings on this day from 5:30-7:30 pm or use the below time breakdown to attend only the topics that interests you.
- 5:30-6:00 pm | Transportation and Mobility
- 6:00-6:30 pm | Natural Features and Recreation/Entertainment
- 6:30-7:00 pm | Economic Development (Large Parcels)
- 7:00-7:30 pm | Housing and Neighborhoods
Neighborhood Specific Master Plan Review Dates | We’ve divided our neighborhoods into five groups to discuss the goals in each neighborhood. Please join us to give your feedback and ideas at the following times and locations:
- Neighborhood Group 1 | East Muskegon, Oakview, Sheldon Park | Thursday, March 16, 5:30-7 pm at First Wesleyan Church of Muskegon
- Neighborhood Group 2 | Marquette, Steele, Uncategorized Area | Monday, March 20, 5:30-7 pm at Muskegon Community College Room 2324 in Stevenson Center
- Neighborhood Group 3 | Jackson Hill, Angell, McLaughlin, Nelson | Tuesday, March 21, 5:30- 7 pm at Angell Community Church
- Neighborhood Group 4 | Campbell Field, Nims, Marsh Field | Wednesday, March 22, 5:30-7 pm at Fire Station # 4
- Neighborhood Group 5 | Glenside, Lakeside, Beachwood-Bluffton | Thursday, March 23, 5:30-7 pm at McGraft Community Building
Economic Development Master Plan Broad Topic Review | During the public Broad Topic Master Plan Review Session on Wednesday, March 15th the Planning Team reviewed the four broad topics that are relevant throughout the entire Master Plan. While reviewing the economic development goals many conversation points were brought up and it was clear that an additional review meeting specifically to discuss the economic development goals was needed. Please join the planning team on Tuesday, April 18th from 4:30-6:30 PM at Muskegon Farmers Market (242 W Western Ave, Muskegon, MI 49440) to review and give feedback on the Economic Development Goals.
Did you attend a Master Plan Review Session? Please complete a quick survey regarding your experience!
Mobile Office Hours | Can’t make the scheduled meeting times or have more you want to discuss? We’ve added two mobile office hours to encourage additional conversation. Join us at the following locations:
- Ryke’s Bakery | Monday, March 27, 9-11 am
- Aldea Coffee | Tuesday, March 28, 8-10 am