Sanford St and Houston Ave Road Construction
Open House: Bethany Christian Reformed Church, 1105 Terrace St, Muskegon on Thursday, March 2, 4-6 pm
Sanford St Project Summary
Rebuilding Sanford from Laketon to Apple. At the end of this project you will have a new road, some new water pipes in the road, all new water lines that run into the basements, and new sewer pipes under the road. Sidewalks will be replaced on the west side of the road. Sidewalks will be removed on the east side of the road to make room for a non-motorized path that will be built in a couple years. New trees will be planted after the project is done. The project will begin in March. It is expected to take about seven months, which means it will be finished around Halloween. The project will be done in three parts so the high school is less affected during the school year. These times could change as the project goes on.
Sanford St Important Facts
- Changes to expect: The road width will be reduced to just two lanes with the following parking:
- From Laketon to Southern there will be parking on both sides of the street, although not in designated parking lanes. It will operate as a traditional neighborhood street with odd-even winter parking.
- From Southern to Grand, one block, there is no parking because the west curb is reserved for bus drop offs.
- From Grand to Strong there will be striped, designated parking on the west side only.
- From Strong to Apple there will again be parking on both sides of the street, although not in designated parking lanes. It will operate as a traditional neighborhood street with odd-even winter parking.
- Preparations will be made for a future non-motorized path. Sanitary sewer in the street will be replaced, all residences will get new water services and some water main will be replaced.
- Timeline/timeframe: Scheduled to begin March 13, 2022 and be complete by November 2023
- Lane, road or intersections shutdown: Phase 1 3/13 to 6/9 Strong to Apple will be closed including Merrill. Phase 2 6/9 to 8/22 Southern to Strong Will be closed, Phase 3 7/21 to 10/30 Southern to Laketon will be closed.
- Map Outlining Detour
- Project Updates: To be given weekly on Fridays from Prein&Newhof. Visit the project page here: Prein&Newhof
- MATS Bus Route Plan: Initial plan is to use Sanford detour based on phase.
Previous Updates on Sanford St Project Prior to March
- Sanford Street businesses/residents have received one letter for tree trimming and trimming is now complete. A second letter will be sent mid February pertaining to plans for garbage/mail.
- MPS was involved in early meetings and was provided an opportunity to comment on plans
Houston Ave Project Summary
At the end of this project you will have a new road, new water pipes including the water lines that run into the basements. Some new sidewalks will be poured in areas that are affected and new trees will be planted throughout after the project is done. The project will begin in March. It is expected to take four months which means it may be complete around July 4th. These times could change as the project goes on.
Houston Ave Important Facts
- Changes to expect: A new blacktop road of the same size as today, but it will not have a center stripe and parking will be allowed on both sides.
- Timeline/timeframe: Scheduled to begin in March of 2023 and be complete around July 4th.
- Lane, road or intersections shutdown: Houston will be closed, although residents will have access to their homes. Access may be difficult at times when work is in your area.
- Detour Explanation: Muskegon and Monroe will be used for detours.
- Project Updates: Expect weekly updates online here.