City of Muskegon
City Commission Work Session
June 13, 2005
City Commission Chambers
1. The Worksession was called to order by Mayor Warmington at 5:33 p.m.
2. Roll Call. Present were Mayor Warmington, Vice Mayor Larson,
Commissioners Carter, Davis, Gawron, Shepherd and Spataro.
3. GVSU Presentation on Invasive Species. Al Steinman passed out information
and showed a power point presentation. It was asked that this item be put on
the July Worksession for further discussion.
4. Presentation from Public Relations Committee. Removed per staff request.
5. Update on Use of Froebel School – Johnnie Barnes and Yvonne Figures. 60 –
100 jobs would be created. Ken James gave an overview.
6. McGraft Park. Bryon Mazade updated Commission on this item.
7. Televising Commission Meetings. Lee Slaughter gave an overview, and
discussion was held. Should start on June 14, 2005.
8. Engineering Services Agreement for City Center Project. Bryon Mazade gave
an overview of timetable and project.
9. Rejection of Bids for Demolition of the Muskegon Hotel. Tony Kleibecker
explained that no funds are available to demolish building. Discussion was
held. Staff was asked to look into other options and report back to
10. Contract for Independent Audit Services. Tim Paul explained this item and
recommended Brickley, DeLong.
11. Appointment to City Employees Pension Board and Police and Fire
Retirement Board. It was recommended that Ruth Anderson be appointed to
12. City Manager’s Evaluation. Bryon Mazade asked that they go into closed
13. Any other business. Commissioner Davis asked for an update on Nugent
hearing and asked about PUD process and problems. Commissioner Shepherd
stated that she cannot attend the July 9th parade, and she also asked that inner
city not be used. The Mayor suggested core city.
Motion by Commissioner Spataro, second by Commissioner Davis to go into
Closed Session at 7:11 p.m. to discuss collective bargaining and the City
Vote: 6 Yeas
Motion by Commissioner Davis, second by Vice Mayor Larson to come out
of Closed Session at 8:03 p.m.
Vote: 6 Yeas
Police Officer’s request will be put on the July Worksession.
14. Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 8:07 p.m.
Gail A. Kundinger, MMC