CITY OF MUSKEGON
WORKSESSION/LEGISLATIVE POLICY COMMITTEE MEETING
MONDAY, AUGUST 8, 2005 @ 5:30 P.M.
CITY COMMISSION CHAMBERS
The meeting was called to order by Mayor Warmington at 5:32 p.m.
Present were Mayor Warmington, Vice Mayor Larson, Commissioners Carter, Davis, Gawron,
and Spataro. Commissioner Shepherd was excused.
1. Downtown Muskegon Market Study. Dan Rinsema-Sybenga, Muskegon Area First, gave
2. Public Relations Committee Presentation. John VanWyck, Co-Chair of the Public
Relations Committee, gave a PowerPoint presentation. Jill Montgomery and Andrea
Riegler were also present to answer questions. Commission requested staff to look into
this to see if it will fit in the budget.
3. Construction Contract for the Former Mall Area Project. City Manager Bryon Mazade
introduced Frank Bednarek, Downtown Muskegon Development Corporation, who gave
an overview and answered questions.
4. Construction of Improvements – Great Lakes Naval Memorial and Museum. City
Manager Bryon Mazade explained that they would like to construct a retaining wall and a
5. Point of Sales Inspections. Tabled to the next Worksession.
6. Sidewalks. Commissioner Spataro reported on the following.
a) Should sidewalks be included as part of future street projects instead of a
b) Should we establish sidewalk design standards and amend the ordinance to
7. Community Events and Commitment of City Services. City Manager Bryon Mazade will
draft a policy.
8. Approval of April 27, 2005 Minutes
Motion by Commissioner Spataro, second by Commissioner Davis to approve the
April 27, 2005, minutes.
VOTE: All Ayes
9. Property at 487 W. Clay. Home is in extreme disrepair. Neighbors are asking the City to
go forward with dangerous building process.
10. The meeting adjourned at 7:45 p.m.
Gail A. Kundinger, MMC