Pools and hot tubs which have a capacity of 5,000 gallons or less, and are less than 24 inches in depth require a development permit. Pools over 5,000 gallons or 24 inches in depth require building permits.
- In general, in or above ground pools (or hot tubs) must be at least six (6) feet from the property line. However, the building official may permit this to be reduced to three (3) feet. If you choose to have your pool or hot tub three (3) feet from the property line, you should be certain just where the property line is located in order to avoid conflicts with your neighbors. The City knows the approximate dimensions of your lot, but not precisely where the property lines are. Property lines can be located by a surveyor.
- Pools and hot tubs must be located behind the front building line.
- City building code requires that pools and hot tubs be surrounded by a four (4) foot tall fence, located either around the backyard or, by recommendation, several feet away from the pool. You also should consult your insurance agent, as your insurance may require a taller fence.
- Pools and hot tubs must be at least six (6) feet from any other structure (e.g. house, garage).
- No overhead wires are permitted over the water. Wires must be at least ten (10) feet from the water’s edge (electrical code).
For additional information on above-ground pool regulations, see Section 2317 of the City’s Zoning Ordinance.
Applications should be submitted with applicable fees to the Planning Department either in person at City Hall, emailed to [email protected], or mailed to:
City of Muskegon Planning Department
933 Terrace Street
Muskegon, MI 49440
Questions about above-ground pools?
You may also direct questions to [email protected].