Republic Services provides weekly residential trash, monthly recycling, and seasonal yard waste removal for the City of Muskegon.  Pick up days are determined by 5 residential zones located on this map.  Please have your items to the terrace by 6 am and remove carts after pick up.  For service requests or concerns call the City of Muskegon Department of Public Works at 231-724-4100.


If a holiday falls on a weekday, garbage services will be delayed by one day after the following holidays:

  • New Year’s Day
  • Memorial Day
  • 4th of July
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving
  • Christmas


The cost to replace a lost/stolen garbage cart or add an additional cart is $55.00.  Each additional cart is $13.00 per month and the charge will appear on the water bill.  The unauthorized use of City of Muskegon carts is not allowed. Violators will be charged $35 per incident.

Hardship Stickers are available to residents that are physically unable to use a garbage cart. Contact 724-4100 for details.

Additional Garbage Items

Mixed refuse stickers are $3.00 each or four stickers for $10. They are required for household furniture and any extra garbage that will not fit in your cart. All extra waste must have a refuse sticker attached to each article or it will not be picked up. Only Six (6) stickers may be used at one time per residential pickup. These can be purchased at the Muskegon City Hall – 933 Terrace, or at the Dept of Public Works at 1350 E Keating Ave.

Acceptable sticker items are: Bags of Garbage (30lbs or less), Household Furniture, Mattress (must be wrapped and sealed), Bed Springs, Metal & Wood Furniture, Carpet & Pads (rolled into 4 foot sections and must be 30lbs or less), Storm Doors, Windows, Toilets, Bathtubs, Sinks, Cardboard Boxes (Flattened, Tied in bundles less than 30lbs), Television Sets(30lbs or less).

Non-Acceptable Sticker Items are: Appliances, Batteries, Hazardous Waste Material, Christmas Trees, Engine Parts, Car Parts, Building Materials, Tires, Bags of Grass or Leaves, Brush or Twigs.

Christmas trees placed at the curb will be picked up through January 30 on your regular trash day. Tree sections needs to be cut into pieces of 4 feet or less in length.

Yard Waste will be picked up curbside on your garbage day from the first week of April through November 30th, weather permitting. Yard waste must be in paper yard waste bags, cardboard boxes, or rigid 35-gallons (or less) garbage cans.  The can will be emptied and returned to the terrace.  Brush must be 4ft or less in length and 4 inches or less in diameter.  It must be in a container as previously stated or tied in bundles weighing 35 lbs or less.  Absolutely no plastic bags are allowed.  Please set the yard waste container(s) at least three feet away from your garbage can.

Household Hazardous Waste is managed by the Muskegon County Department of Public Works. Please call 724-6001 for the collection dates and times. Utilize the Household Hazardous Waste and Recycling Guide as well.

Contact the Sanitation Department

  • Joe Buckingham

    Joe Buckingham

    Sanitation Supervisor


City of Muskegon
Department of Public Works


Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 4:30pm
Saturday - Sunday: Closed


(231) 724-4100


(231) 722-4188