RFQ – Kruse Park Boardwalk
July 6, 2021
INTRODUCTION TO PROJECT
The City of Muskegon is seeking proposals from architectural firms to provide preliminary design concepts and cost estimates relative to replacing the Lake Michigan Beach Access at Kruse Park.
Kruse Park – https://goo.gl/maps/L6jQESpSp4iHVhVR6
Kruse Park is located on the shores of Lake Michigan at the southern end of the City of Muskegon Limits. Access to the site is via Sherman Boulevard from US-31.
The park serves as one of the primary access points to Lake Michigan within the City of Muskegon and also serves as the designated dog beach within the City. Access from the parking lot to the beach is provided via a handicap accessible boardwalk which traverses from the parking lot down to the beach, approximately a 30 FT elevation difference.
During the high water events on Lake Michigan in 2019-2020 portions of the boardwalk were compromised and eroded requiring the closure of the boardwalk and removal of several sections of decking before they were washed into the lake. Currently the portion of the boardwalk providing access to the lakefront is closed and remains unusable due to the sections that required removal.
The City is seeking qualified firms to provide the following services:
- Review of the site and assessment of the existing conditions
- Identify options for the site to restore access between the lakefront and parking lot
- Prepare conceptual renderings and cost estimates for the identified options
- Hosting an public meeting to solicit feedback on the identified options
- Preparing a final recommendation inclusive of the conceptual designs, cost estimates, public feedback, any revisions/changes to the conceptual designs, and identification potential funding sources to move the project forward
The City is seeking firms with prior experience working on projects of similar scope.
The City has allocated a preliminary budget of $15,000 for completion of the items identified in this proposal.
Attachment A – Area Map [PDF]