The District Library Board exists to maintain and oversee the operation of all public libraries in the district.
Staff Liaison: LeighAnn Mikesell – (231) 724-6724
Third Thursday of each month at 5:30pm at Hackley Public Library, 316 W. Webster Ave., Muskegon, MI 49440 in the Julia Hackley Room.
- Establish, maintain, and operate public libraries for the district;
- Exclusively control the expenditure of money deposited into the district library fund;
- Appoint and remove officers from among its members;
- Appoint and remove a librarian and necessary assistants and fix their compensation;
- Acquire real or personal property for use for library purposes by purchase, land contract, installment purchase contract, lease with or without option to purchase, or title retaining contract;
- Erect buildings;
- Supervise and control district library property;
- Enter into a contract to receive library-related service from or give library-related service to a library or municipality within or without the district;
- Adopt bylaws and regulations, not inconsistent with the Act, governing the board and the district library;
- Propose and levy upon approval of the electors as provided in the Act a tax for support of the district library;
- Borrow money pursuant to the district library financing act, Act No. 265 of the Public Acts of 1988;
- Issue bonds pursuant to the district library financing act, Act No. 265 of the Public Acts of 1988;
- Accept gifts and grants for the district library;
- Do any other thing necessary for conducting the district library service, the cost of which shall be charged against the district library fund; and
- Perform any other acts authorized by law.